The future is renewable electric – it’s time to stop investing in polluting oil and gas infrastructure. That’s why Sonoma Group supports a County-wide ban on building new gas stations and on expanding existing stations.
Decision makers: Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
Take action by joining a local group:
- CONGAS (Coalition Opposing New Gas Stations) is opposing new gas stations in the County in general and asking the Supervisors to pass an ordinance prohibiting construction of new gas stations. Find the Model Ordinance here.
- No Gas Here is fighting the Petaluma Safeway station at the site and in court. Facebook: Oppose Petaluma Safeway Gas
From CONGAS: On Monday, September 13, 2021 the Sonoma County Regional Climate Protection Authority voted unanimously to adopt a Resolution supporting all Sonoma County local governments in passing ordinances prohibiting the construction of new gasoline stations in the respective jurisdictions. Now it’s time for all the cities ands the county to follow Petaluma’s lead and get the job done!
CONGAS (Coalition Opposing New Gas Stations) was first activated by a proposal for a sixteen pump ARCO station, car wash and store in open space west of Cotati. That project was withdrawn by the applicant after opposition; CONGAS is now asking for a County-wide moratorium on new gas stations which Sonoma Group supports.
- Activists protest plans for gas pumps at new Rincon Valley 7-Eleven (2/25/2020)
- Coalition persists against new gas station proposals in Sonoma County (1/14/2020)
- Gas station proposals: One down, two to go (8/1/2019)
- Great news! Applicant retracts proposal for new gas station (7/10/2019)
- Arco Station proposed west of Cotati (3/13/2019)
No Gas Here – Petaluma
A new Safeway gas station in Petaluma (corner of Maria Drive & South McDowell) was permitted in early 2019. The site is next to McDowell Elementary School which would expose children to exhaust fumes from idling cars and benzene in fuel vapor.
- Favorable ruling for No Gas Here (1/14/2020)
- Lawsuit filed to stop Safeway gas station (5/8/2019)
- Petaluma city council votes for moratorium for future gas stations (5/8/2019)